In 2016, I joined the Board of the Tellepsen Family Downtown YMCA. I did this to help make an impact on the downtown Houston community. Since then, I have been amazed with the impact the YMCA has and more importantly the Tellepsen center.
The one program that I has touched my heart is academic achievement. The Tellepsen center works with the Gregory Lincoln Education Center "GLEC", which is part of the Houston Independent School District. Here are a few stats on GLEC:
* Located in the 4th Ward area of Houston
* Almost 80% of the children are considered "at-risk"
* 98% of the students come from very low income families; therefore, they are living at or below poverty level
* Approximately 15% of the children are homeless
How do donations via the Tellepsen YMCA help the students of GLEC?
* Provide after school care for 117 low-income students during the school year
* Support the Panther Caring Corner that provides basic need supplies (i.e. clothes and toiletries) to students in need
* Fund scholarships to students to attend Camp Cullen, a YMCA resident camp
A donation of $250 provides for a full month of after school care for one child.
We are working to "Change Someone's Tomorrow, Today"
Please consider making a gift today and support our efforts to strengthen our community through the YMCA.