Dear friends and family,
As most of you know, I am a part of the Trotter Family YMCA board of directors, and I have accepted the challenge to raise funds to support our amazing Y - and this year, I was entrusted with the role of campaign chair! My daughter goes to YMCA after-school care at her elementary school, I grew up going to the Trotter Family (formerly Post Oak) Y as a child, and my dad was a huge part of this amazing organization during his lifetime.
At the Y, we impact thousands of lives every year through the programs we offer in the areas of academic achievement, swim safety, chronic disease prevention, outreach, and family relationships. My main passion is the Wisdom High School (formerly Lee High School) child care center, which is set up on the campus of Wisdom to allow young mothers and fathers currently in school there to REMAIN students while having fantastic, loving care for their sweet babies.
This past year, the Trotter YMCA was also instrumental in helping those affected by Hurricane Harvey. Just a few notes about what we did:
- The staff opened the building as a shelter during the worst days of the hurricane, and the following day the Y became a donation site.
- With the help of over 500 volunteers and over 70,000 pounds of supplies, the Y was there. Once the 18 wheeler picked up the supplies the Y teamed with Lakewood Church to allow their guests to shower in our facility. The toiletries, socks and undergarments started to flow in once we knew guests were coming.
- Our YMCA received $1.9 million in Harvey Recovery donations from a wide variety of donors both in Houston and around the country. Over $400,000 came from other YMCAs.
- Just over $1 million was applied to the Harvey Rebuild campaign and the balance was used to fund direct services including a month of free child care at the GRB and NRG shelters and two weeks of pop up day camps at about half price.
- We provided direct financial assistance to 249 YMCA staff members who had personal flood damage.
- We will also have increased financial assistance for childcare services through the fall.
Your support to our cause makes a true impact, allowing us to help those who wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford to participate in Y programs. We believe that lasting personal and social change can only come about when we all work together to invest in our kids, our health and neighbors.
Please consider making a gift today and support our efforts to strengthen our community through the YMCA. I am truly grateful for your support in ANY amount! If you have further questions about the Y and what we do, please feel free to contact me and I am happy to share or get you more involved.